Here we test out a Jamie Oliver Lasagne – adapted from the recipe known on his website as ‘Simple Baked Lasagne’.
This Jamie Oliver lasagne includes squash and chilli which we think gives it an edge. Definitely one for a diet ‘cheat day’. If you can hang in there with its assembly – your taste buds will be rewarded!
Let’s get cooking
- olive oil
- 4 rashers bacon or pancetta, finely chopped
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1 finely chopped onion + carrot
- 2 finely chopped cloves of garlic
- 2 handfuls of chopped fresh herbs (sage, oregano, rosemary thyme)
- 400g beef mince
- 200g pork mince
- 2 x 400g chopped tomatoes
- 2 glasses of red wine or water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, de-seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 dried red chilli, chopped up
- 400g lasagne sheets
- 400g mozzarella, torn into pieces
For the white sauce
- 500ml creme fraiche
- 2 handfuls of grated parmesan cheese
2. Turn the oven on – 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4. In a large casserole dish fry up the bacon or pancetta with the cinnamon. Once is starts to colour add in 4 tbsp of oil and mix in the garlic, onion, carrot and the herbs you have handy.
3. Add in the beef and pork mince. Cook away for approx. 5 mins
4. Add the tinned tomatoes, wine or water. Top with the bay leaf and bring to the boil.
5. Wet some greaseproof paper and place it on top of your dish – securing it with a lid. Place it in the oven for 2 hours.
6. Coat your butternut squash with oil and the salt, pepper and chilli. Place in a roasting pan and add it to the oven for 45 minutes. During this time, separately mix the creme fraiche and the cheese (you can add a little milk if needed to break up the mixture).
7. Once you have removed the dishes in the oven – pump the heat up to 200C/400F/gas 6. You can start to prepare the lasagne by rubbing some oil in your lasagne dish and then lay some lasagne sheets – then the meat sauce – then some mozzarella.
8. Add a layer of squash, then repeat the other layers until the last layer is made up of lasagne sheets topped with white sauce and torn up mozzarella.
9. Cook in the oven for 20 – 25 mins. Once golden – serve up and enjoy! You earned it!