We are big fans of the Barefoot Contessa and were impressed by the easiness of this recipe which we adapted from an Ina Garten Lasagne.
It’s tastiness and ease comes in part because you use sausage meat rather than regular mince. The recipe provides for Turkey sausage but we don’t see any reason not to use any other.
Let’s get started!
1. Pre-heat your oven to 200C and gather these ingredients
- 2 tbsp oil (we used rapeseed)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (we used 2 small red onions)
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 680g of turkey sausage, casings removed
- 170g passata or tomato paste
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley (divided)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tsp of salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 220g lasagne sheets (we ended up using 6 standard ones)
- 425g ricotta
- 100g goat cheese (we skipped this one as we didn’t want to buy it especially)
- 1 cup grated parmesan + 1/4 cup for sprinkling at the end (we had some left over grated cheddar that we used instead – although parmesan does add a real sharpness)
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 450g fresh mozzarella thinly sliced