We continue our journey to find the best lasagne by trying out a Mary Berry Lasagne.
In particular, her “Express Lasagne” – when you don’t have too much time to fiddle with all the usual lasagne ingredients.
We did find this lasagne very easy to put together and cook – although it won’t necessarily make a large one. Use a lasagne dish which is long enough for 3 regular sized lasagne sheets side by side.
In terms of taste – the use of passata does give it a very tomatoey flavour.
Let’s us show you how we did with the recipe.
1. Getting together the ingredients, preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6 + grease your dish with butter
- 1 tbsp oil + butter for greasing your lasagne pan
- 450g pork sausage meat
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 fat garlic cloves, crushed
- 250g sliced chestnut mushrooms
- 200ml full-fat creme fraiche
- 100g baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 6 large lasagne sheets (we used the ones that you don’t need to soak beforehand)
- 75g grated mature cheese
- 2 tbsp sun-dried tomato paste (we used regular)
- 1 tsp light muscovado sugar (we used regular)
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh sage
2. Start making the pork and spinach sauce by heating the oil in a large pan – add the sausage meat and cook until it is brown all over for 5-10 minutes. Make sure you break up the sausage meat and then add the flour.
3. Add the chilli, garlic + mushrooms and fry for about 5 minutes. Then stir in the creme fraiche + spinach. Bring to the boil, let it simmer for a couple of minutes. Set aside and season with the S&P.
4. Make the tomato sauce by mixing together the passata, tomato paste, sugar, thyme and basil
5. Assemble the lasagne by spooning 1/3 of the spinach sauce into the base of the dish.
Follow this with 1/3 of the tomato sauce with half of the lasagne sheets on top of this. Repeat using 2 more layers of the spinach and tomato sauces with one of the lasagne sheets. Put the grated cheese on top.
6. Bake for 30–35 minutes until its golden bubbly – plate up and enjoy your Mary Berry Lasagne!